Check out where my someday art studio will be at The B Farm

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Love/Hate Thing

I take a life drawing class on Tuesdays. I have to admit, it's a love/hate kind of relationship.

I hate it because I'm a perfectionist and this is not a class that is about perfection. It's about improvement. I hate it because it stresses me out ( see above reason). I struggle most weeks to make my drawing look like the person; sometimes I come close but more times than not, I don't quite get there. And gesture drawings...yikes! How much can you put down and at the same time be accurate before the pose changes? Sigh, so I hate it.

But, I also love it. It helps me develop my artist eye, so I can see more clearly. It is challenging. It's helping me improve my paintings -a lot. I'm doing something I never thought I could do. And yes, my drawings actually look like the person sometimes. So, I love it.

We will soon break for the summer. Painting class will continue but life drawing will be off for the summer - I'm a little sad but also ready to stop for awhile. Somehow, I will have to make myself practice so I won't lose what I've learned and hopefully will come to love it more and hate it less.

4 comments:

  1. You expressed the feelings of so many artists perfectly!!! Wish I were still there with all of you! Miss you, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too, Nancy! Glad you are still painting but wish it was with us!

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean........I could not draw from life. I need a picture, something that sits still. I can draw but...........I know what you mean I want perfection. I want it to be real. People have said "well its better than I can do I cant even draw a stick figure" .....well I can, but I want more than that, I want to create something that I can be proud of, or at least not be afraid to put my name to. For a very long time I would not sign things, I do now, tentatively. I guess if someone wants something I have done then they like it enough for me to sign it. Right?????.......you will see some of my attempts on the Pretty things blog.
    I will follow you and come back
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice for the visit. I haven't been very good updating this blog...seems like I just say the same thing over and over again. ha. I know what you mean about what people say - and I want to be proud of mine too. I'll pop over and look at your art and follow you back. :)
      Cecilia

      Delete