Check out where my someday art studio will be at The B Farm

Thursday, March 22, 2012

White isn't white

When is white not white? When you're painting a white object, of course! In my case, a white foal. Interestingly, only the highlights are pure white, the shadows and contours are shades of the surrounding colors. I think I knew that only I'd never tried to paint a white object in oil before. With watercolor, you save the white of the paper for your white areas and shade with a watered down color. When I painted with acrylic, I would paint the white first, then add the shadings. I find myself wanting to paint that way with oil. Only I don't get it dark enough that way. My teacher has to take my color and darken it then show me the difference. It's been interesting. Dark to light. Not light to dark. There is still so much I have to learn. Fortunately, I have a great teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment