Check out where my someday art studio will be at The B Farm

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

roadblocks and redirecting

I've hit a roadblock... my painting of the flower fairy isn't turning out the way I want it to and I don't like it. Actually, if I'm honest, about 1/2 through a painting, I usually don't like where it's at- the sketch is lost and the final look is far away. It just looks messy or not quite right. But in this case, I feel it's more than that. My Texas flower fairy is, at this point, a failure. Ok, probably not, but it sure feels that way. I know I just need to jump back in there and start painting on it again. It will get there but boy, do I dislike it right now.


prelim. sketch of girl with stick-horse
So for now, I've backed off of it and started reworking my sketch for the little girl riding her stick-horse. It's coming along nicely and with a few tweaks will be ready to transfer to canvas and paint.



I've also been thinking of Christmas - as in what do I want to paint for a Christmas card? My idea is to have children daydreaming about what they want for Christmas - a little girl thinking "Pony" and a little boy thinking "Train".
what I want for Christmas sketches
They're allowing me to dodge my creative roadblock and redirect my thoughts from "oh brother, this isn't working" to "oh this is going to be so much fun!" And who knows? Tomorrow might actually be the day the little fairy comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment