Check out where my someday art studio will be at The B Farm

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Embracing Texas

I never thought I'd paint a Texas-themed painting; you know, bluebonnets, cowboys, etc. It's not that I don't like those types of paintings, I do. They just weren't for me. Too expected of a Texas artist, I guess.  But guess, what? I'm starting a bluebonnet picture...sort of.

You see, I love Cicely Mary Barker's "Flower Fairies"; their sweetness and innocence, the beautiful rending of the flowers. I wanted to try my hand at painting one. What should it look like? What flower should I use? Well, it had to be  Texan with a Texas flower, right? And what better flower than the Texas Bluebonnet? So, I started gathering pictures of my kids in the bluebonnets ( wow, I didn't realize I had so few ), fields of bluebonnets, close up shots of bluebonnets. Started sketching. What kind of outfit should this fairy be wearing? Prairie-style dress with a bonnet? Cowboy wear with boots? I settled on the prairie-style dress. I don't like it too much. Now I'm sketching one with a dress made from a bluebonnet petal. Guess I'll see how that one turns out.

After that one, I plan on doing children with cowboy boots, riding ponies, etc...you know, Texas style. I'm embracing Texas after all.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to finish the one in the prairie dress. It's in watercolor and that's always a challenge.

    ReplyDelete